Hannah’s dad is the baker in the family, and he bakes this cake every Rosh Hashanah. It calls for 6 apples, which always turns out to be too many, but no one has ever been able to figure out the right number. We generally buy 4 and hope it’s enough!
- 3 cups flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 thinly sliced peeled apples
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients in the order listed. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applies, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Grease and flour an angel food cake pan (tube pan). Line bottom with parchment paper.
- Pour 1 layer of batter and 1 layer of applies into the pan.
- Alternate the layers, ending with apples on top.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Use a knife to cut the sides of the cake and carefully lift it out of the pan. I generally need help for this part – you need at least 3 hands!
a recipe from California Kosher