We have a lot of sweet potatoes – jars and jars. Why would I buy jarred sweet potatoes? For the babe of course! About 2 weeks later, I found an article stating that jarred sweet potatoes contain heavy metals and shouldn’t be given frequently. Fortunately, Eitan had undergone his 3-day sweet potato test and was ready to move on!
So now I have jars. A lot of them.
And you know what they say: if you have jarred sweet potatoes… make sweet potato bread! Fortunately, it’s the right time of year!
I found a recipe online, eliminated the water (my jars are quite liquidy), and added chocolate chips. I also made them muffin-sized. The end result was so tasty that I had to post it here!
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup of pureed sweet potatoes (about 4 jars of baby food)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Combine sugar and oil and beat well. Add eggs and beat some more.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and then the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F.
A note on timing: I made these in my toaster oven and they took 40 minutes! In a regular oven, muffins should take about 15-20 minutes. Your mileage may vary.
based on a recipe by Allrecipes